It is easy to make the difference in the lives of girls. Become a troop leader and let the inspiration begin! You’ll be able to introduce girls to new experiences, and the possibilities are endless! Helping girls achieve their highest potential while having fun is one of the best rewards of the Girl Scout volunteer program. Girl Scout leaders help their troop develop skills and confidence, while making amazing memories in their lives. What are you waiting for?
Steps to becoming a leader
- Register as an adult Girl Scout. Refer to our Online Registration page for information. If you have questions or technical difficulties, you can contact Girl Scouts of Eastern MA directly at CustomerCare@gsema.org.
- Submit a completed CORI form in person to any of the following Service Team members:
- Read the Volunteer Essentials (PDF) and the Online Volunteer Agreement.
- Complete the GSEM (Girl Scouts of Eastern MA) Orientation (course) and Girl Scouting 101 (webinar).
- Complete a GSEM Girl Scout Level Essentials course (Daisy, Brownie or Leadership — you can search for the course you need on GSEM’s Volunteer Training page.)
- Review troop bank account guidelines (PDF) and submit completed form via the GSEM website.
After all the necessary steps are taken, you will be contacted with your troop number and information. Every troop leader needs a co-leader, as well; if you do not have a co-leader, you will be placed with one. Please refer to the Volunteer Essentials regarding requirements on number of girls/number of adults needed. Co-leaders will need to register, as well. Once your registration is complete and your CORI background check has been approved, you will receive a list of the girls’ names in your troop and your troop number from our Girl Scouts of Eastern MA registration services (CustomerCare@gsema.org).
Finally, you will need to open a bank account in your name and co-leader’s name. This is used for monthly dues, cookies sales, and other financial transactions.
The Volunteer Toolkit can help you plan your year. If you’re a Troop or Co-Leader – click here! See your troop’s roster, update contact info, access resources, easily email parents, enter troop finances, and plan your program year with pre-populated troop calendars filled with Daisy, Brownie and Junior Journeys and badges. New! Multi-level troops now have access. All program levels can add your own troop activities to your calendar, as well as pre-populated council events. It’s your virtual troop assistant!